Friday, May 25, 2012

Top 10 Disgaea characters

Well before I actually get to this list I should set some ground rules. First, any and all character's I put on this list are allowed to be from other games first before being in any Disgaea games, for NIS fans you know what I'm talking about and if someone ask I will gladly clear up what I mean. Secondly, for the character to make this list they do have to playable, for as much as I want to Seraph Lamington on this list, I can't because he's not playable. Finally and most importantly this list is heavily opinion based. If you don't agree then that's perfectly fine, but any comment that says something along the lines of "Oh my god I can't believe you put that character on the list, you're a faggot" will be deleted but I am willing to listen to any reasons as to why you may not like a certain character on this list. Something else to keep in mind is the one Disgaea game I have the strongest connection with is Disgaea 3 (for the Vita no less) because it's my first and only Disgaea game so far and anything I know about the other Disgaea games come from what I've seen from walkthroughs and the subpar anime based off the first game.

10) Adell
Dis2-adell1.jpg
Adell gets alot of heat from NIS fans. In Adell's case, people complain he's too much like a stereotypical hero. I personally don't have a problem with him. Adell is a strong young man who hunts demons (despite being a demon himself so hmm...) and sets out to destroy one of the most sinister Overlords of the entire series. All of Adell's unique special moves utilize skillful hand-to-hand combat and all of which are all fire elemental. I almost was not gonna put him on this list because of the heat he got but when I got a chance to actually see him myself, he isn't that bad (especially when compared to the majority of current generation Final Fantasy characters, ie from Cloud and on).

9) The Defenders of Earth Trio (Gordon, Jennifer, and Thursday)
Captain Gordon.jpgDisgaea Jennifer.jpgDisgaea Thursday.png
Oh boy...these three are just so much fun to watch. They are like the good guy version of Team Rocket trio from the Pokemon anime (before it became utter shit). It's so much fun to see how much these three fail from a story perspective but as far as playable characters go, they're pretty effective (and to remind those who did not read my little intro to this list, I'm basing this MOSTLY from my experience from D3:AOD which is the only Disgaea game I have  personally played). When I was making this list I kind of felt like I was cheating with this one but in the end, it couldn't be helped. I was originally gonna have Kyoko and Asuka for this spot, but when I really thought about...these are the guys that really take the cake.

8) Asagi
Asagi.jpgAsagi.gif
Her idle stance in D3 is the biggest as to why she's on this list, just look at it, she's so cute (biggest reason, not the only reason mind you). Another reason she's on this list is because she's an official mascot of Nippon Icchi Software. Finally, I feel real sorry for this character. It's not that she has a sad story, but...she doesn't get to have a story. The thing about Asagi was she was originally suppose to be the main character of a NIS game that was presumably cancelled called Makai Wars and is this her running gag in all her appearances in various NIS games. Asagi, I love ya and I should hope one day you do get to become the main character of your own game.

7) Fenrich
Fenlihi full.jpg
Much like with #8, I was originally gonna have a different character(s) for this spot. In this case, I was originally gonna use Valvatorez but as I kept watching a walkthrough for Disgaea 4, Valvatorez had become lost on me (he's not a bad character but he's just sorta...it's hard to explain). Anyway, on to Fenrich. One, he's a werewolf and werewolves are way better than vampires (hell even the pussified werewolves in the Twilight saga are better than the pussified vampires from the same series but unfortunately everyone in the Twilight saga lose out to Dracula, end of story) and are also my favorite of all the classical monsters. There's a backstory in where Fenrich had once attempted to assassinate Valvatorez, when he was well renowned tyrant, but something drew Fenrich to his side and throughout the main story of D4 is his butler. Fenrich is greatly loyal (to the point of justifying anything he finds questionable about Lord Val's decisions) to his master and has proven himself to be a formidable combatant. I kind of wished I could have put Fenrich higher but the thing is when really thinking about I could only do him so much justice.

6) Mao
Mao.jpg
Ahh yes Mao. Much like Adell, Mao gets a ton of heat from Disgaea and NIS fans. In Mao's case, people say he's a faggoty version of Laharl. Again, like Adell I don't have too much a problem with Mao. Mao as far as character is much like Laharl but where Laharl is more barbaric, Mao is more cunning and is not one to step into first. Mao and Laharl from a story perspective are apparently on par as far their overall power levels go. Another complaint about Mao is his character design, but to me it's not too bad, he reminds me of like a younger version of Dante from DMC or Ragna from BB:CT (ok, ok I know that D3 came first so don't bother commenting on that). To me, Mao is a fun and nerdy character. Seriously, How many of you people have actually played D3 to the end of the main story?

5) Gig
Gig.jpg
Gig was originally from a game titled Soul Nomad and World Eaters where he's one of the best character to use but is highly discouraged. Unlike other characters who on this list because they're so entertaining or has traits of a likeable character, Gig is here because he is one of the most badass NIS character. As a playable character in D3, he kicks all kinds of ass. He lords over death and as such he's got a badass dark scythe. He has a world eater for a partner and has control over 3 titanic world eaters which truly cements his badassery. Do I have anything else to add? In truth, I almost don't know what to say except Gig is on this list because he's just so awesome.

4) Pram
Mk-pram-the-oracle.jpg
Pram is originally from Makai Kingdom. Pram is on this list for practically the same reason as Gig. She's so awesome that other Overlords are just mere toys to her. She has strong affinity for the ice element, which is my second favorite elemental type only after lightning. Pram is an Overlord and an Oracle. She took the title of Overlord by defeating her father when she was just a child and she destroyed Overlord Zetta's Netherworld forcing Zetta to place his spirit into a tome (book for those who don't know what tome means). Anyway, just like Gig, Pram is just plain awesome.

3) Raspberyl
Raspberyl.jpg
"Raspberyl, power of love. Raspberyl, Omega love. Raspberyl, Drill. TKO (Technical Knock-out)." That doesn't really have too much to do with Raspberyl so let's just move on. While Mao is the main character of D3, Raspberyl is the one who steals the show. One, she's just so adorable I could just hug her. Two, her sidestory is the best out of all the sidestories in the Vita version of D3 (which is the one I have, in case you all forgot). She's essentially the Flonne of D3 except she's not quite as annoying. Raspberyl is an exemplary character and is more of a hero than Almaz is (I could go on an entire rant about why Almaz is not even close to making this list).

2) Mr. Champloo
Champloo.jpg
Mao is the main character of D3. Raspberyl stole the show of D3. Mr. Champloo is my favorite D3 character. Why? One, he's an ass-kicking chef. Two, he's got a lot funny yet meaning sayings that relate to both food and any situation in which he uses them for. Three, he's a master of Fire Style Chaos Kitchen Fist. Mr. Champloo's role in the story is unfortunately the second smallest (the only characters with a smaller role than him are Kyoko and Asuka) but goddamn he's the one character that I always use because he's such a likable character. I wonder who would win a hand-to-hand fight between Mr. Champloo and Adell? uhhh whatever. Mr. Champloo is on a level of awesome all his own.

1) Overlord Laharl
Laharl.jpg
Much like with my previous two lists, I again apologize for being so predictable. If it wasn't for Laharl, Disgaea wouldn't be the series that is. Laharl has the best character of development of any main character in the series. Laharl also has one of the best unique special attacks in the first game (Meteor surfing anyone?). Laharl is the demon equivalent of 13 years and is half human yet he managed to prove himself equal in strength to fellow Overlord Mao (Who is 200 years older, which is the demon equivalent of being two years older). He's selfish, cynical, and barbaric in his methods but by the end of the game where he has defeated a 9000 year old Seraph, he finally understands what it means to love and that anyone (demon, angel, or human) is capable of such though he still retains his old demeanor after his story is over and even carries over to Disgaea games that followed. Laharl is by in far the #1 Disgaea character and could easily be one of the top main characters in any RPG.

Well, there's my top 10 Disgaea characters. If ya liked it, that's cool, and if not, that's cool too. I'll y'all in about a year cuz I'll be off to boot camp and to AIT immediately after (That's essentially boot camp except they teach you how to do your job).

No comments:

Post a Comment